Parker 99R

Parker 99R
Highly recomend this razor

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Big Ben

Gentlemen the first blade I will be reviewing out of the sampler pack is... Well obviously if you read the title you would know it's Big Ben. I'll start off by saying that it has probably the second most interesting packaging out of the razors in the sample pack, second only the Gillette Goal.

Day 1: I started the shave noticing early on how smoothly it seemed to glide across my skin and while I don't suffer from sensitive skin I'm sure that this would be a big selling point to a lot of men that suffer from such an affliction. I was able to move much more quickly on the broad areas of my face due to the fact I didn't feel it pulling at the hairs. On my second pass (I shave against the grain) I noticed that it did not move as easily as the shark blades and once my second pass was finished I found that I was still left with stubble which never happened with the shark blades. Thankfully I was not pressed for time so I was able to do a third pass and found that silky smooth skin feeling I have become accustomed to and best of all, not a single nick! I found this blade to be a much more comfortable shave then the Shark overall. Since I was okay on time the third pass was not a hindrance on me but I I was a little more pressed for time it could have been an issue. For day 1 I am giving the Big Ben 60/100. Check back tomorrow to read my day 2 experience. I am in the process of writing an entry on handle care as well. Check back in the afternoon to read it.

Day 2: After having used this blade for a day already and learning its strengths (smooth shave) and weaknesses (not as close a shave) I was able to use the blade to its full potential, namely since i knew that it would not provide as close a shave in two passes as with the Shark I was able to go through my shave much more quickly. I made much quicker strokes since i knew the likely hood of nicks was almost non-existent and this made it possible for me to make all 3 passes in about the same time it took me to do 2 passes with the shark blades. That being said I am increasing this blades rating to 65/100. It could be even higher but I want to leave room for potentially superior blades that I may be trying over the next several months.

Day 3: 3 days, 3 great shaves! This blade continues to impress me. Another baby smooth shave without any nicks. Still have not noticed any pulling on the hairs even when shaving against the grain. If this blade lasts the five days that the Sharks did I may have found my new razor blade! Obviously this will not be decided until I finish my sampler pack but for now this blade is certainly at the top of my list! The only draw back is that it is slightly more expensive then the shark blades. Compared to cartage's though the cost is next to nothing. At $15 for 100 blades you're only paying 15 cents a blade or about 3 cents a shave (assuming 5 shaves per blade) compared to about $1 a shave for cartage's. Anyhow, the Big Ben's rating remains at 65/100.

Day 4: What can I really say about this blade that I haven't already? It's almost seems to be like a fine wine in that it's getting better with age. I assume that this is simply because I am gaining a better understanding of how the blade performs and I am subconsciously adjusting my technique. Only other thing I can say about this blade is I got my first nick from it today (gasp) but it was because I was getting a little careless on my third pass and my grip slipped while I was shaving my neck. Little sad that tomorrow is my last shave with this blade, but that just means the potential to find an even better shave. Rating remains at 65/100.

Day 5: This has been an excellent blade and has served me very well for the last 5 days but it is definitely time for a new blade. The need for 3 passes every day definitely cut back on blade life. Although I didn't have any nicks or razor burn today, my face was left feeling slightly irritated which it had not so far while using this balde. All in all this is a fantastic blade and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has time for a 3 pass shave. The blades final rating is 65/100.

Edit: After reviewing some more blades I am increasing the rating to 96/100

Cost: $15.00 for 100 blades on +Amazon.com http://amzn.com/B0047M51WE


No comments:

Post a Comment